At the bottom of this article we have created a link to the Pee Diary! There you can download the file.
A urinary diary gives you insight into the functioning of the bladder. In bladder-related complaints, this is the GP’s first step in the search for a diagnosis.
It provides a number of important insights:
- When and how much fluid is absorbed
- When and how much urination occurs
- How often there is an urgent urge to urinate
- When and how much urine is ‘voided’
When to use a urination diary
You can use a urination diary before or after visiting your doctor. It is never wrong to take a urinary diary with you on your first visit to the doctor.
The urinary diary brings important information to light because daily habits and symptoms are recorded objectively and clearly. This gives the doctor a good idea of the state of affairs in daily life.
How to use a urination diary?
- It is important to note the time of waking. This helps to put fluid intake and urine moments into a bigger picture. The same applies to going to bed.
- Write down what your child drinks (e.g. water, juice, lemonade) and especially how much. It is of great value to keep track of exactly how much your child drinks. If you don’t manage to do this accurately, you can make a good guess. There are some tips on the form to help you guess, but luckily the contents are listed on most packaging!
- Examples of common packaging:
- Glass – 200ml
- Cup – 125ml
- Soup bowl – 250ml
- Drinks in pack – 200ml
- Write down how often and how much your child pees, both during the day and at night. GPs often give you something to measure the amount of urine, but a cup of which you know the contents works just as well. Practical tip: put the cup near the toilet! 😉
- Keep the urine diary for at least three days to get as true a picture as possible. A diary that is only kept for one day gives too much room for wrong conclusions and diagnoses! It is possible to set up the measuring days separately, as long as they are ‘standard’ days.
- Don’t forget to take the results with you when you visit the doctor!
Are you curious about the most innovative and fun bedwetting alarm in the Netherlands? Visit our webshop and join us on our adventure towards dry nights!